Sunday, September 14, 2003

East of Eden – John Steinbeck

Good book. Didn’t change my world, but I’m glad I read it. Great characters. I’d been wanting to read it for a while, when discussing Da Vinci Code I mentioned it regarding the element of Biblical translations not being exact. And then, lo and behold, Oprah announced it as her first book in the return of her book club. I’m a sucker for the Oprah book and for her I break my rule about only reading British women writers… I must say, this was a very male oriented book, said a lot about male beliefs regarding the world. The women were pretty awful, I think I read somewhere that Steinbeck was angry with an ex-wife when he wrote it. Didn’t like the characters a whole lot. I found the “good” people to be overly “good” and a bit stupid and naïve regarding the world. People need to have a bit of common sense in order for me to have any respect for them.

finished reading Sept. 14, 2003

No comments: