Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A Small Fortune by Audrey Braun

I saw this book advertised on Amazon Kindle's facebook page.  A thriller, described as a great beach read, for only 2.99.

It is exactly as described, a great beach read, and well worth the $2.99.

A woman goes to Mexico on vacation with her husband and son and ends up getting kidnapped.   She soons discovers that nothing is as it seems.  Very fast paced story, lots of adventure, some violence, a bit of romance. 

And to keep it from being just the usual trashy romance/thriller, there's a nice bit of feminism tossed in there.  The main character had spent most of her life dependent on others, and then she begins to learn aobut the women in her family, and how strong they were and what they had to fight against and she realizes that she has the strength to do the same.  A little sappy, maybe, but I liked it.  Sometimes it takes a horrible experience to make a woman realize that she doesn't need a man to take care of her.

It's not great literature, isn't going to change the world, but it kept me entertained while I was outside working on my tan.  I liked it.

Read August 16, 2011

No comments: