Sunday, September 04, 2011

Family Fang by Kevin Wilson

The reviews of this book led me to believe that it had a supernatural element.  When something is described as being like the Addams Family, I assume there's some magic or potions involved.  That was not the case, and because of that, I was a little disappointed.

This is still a fairly interesting read, just not what I was expecting or hoping for.

I've spent the weekend sick in bed, and the only reason I got out of bed on Saturday was to run to the library and pick this up.  I thought it would be perfect for getting my mind off the fact that I couldn't breathe.

It did hold my interest, and I read the entire book in one day.  I did stop a few times to sleep because all the allergy and sinus medicine was wearing me down.

This is the story of two parents completely devoted to what they call "art."  They go into random places and create chaos, film it, and consider the reaction to be "art."  As an art teacher and something of a wanna-be artist, I despise people who call nonsense like that "art."  I know this is fiction, but there are lots of people like that out there - and this is why so many other people hate "art."

In this case, the family has become famous for this, they get grants- enough money that they live rather well -- and have exhibits at museums. People study their work and write about them.  But in their devotion to their so-called art, they've used their children as props for years.

This story focuses quite a bit on the effect this has had on the children.  They, understandably, have some issues, and have had a difficult time becoming adults, independent of their parents.  Because of a series of problems they both suffer around the same time, they end up back at home and fear they have yet again been forced into their parents' "art."  Now, as adults, they need to figure out how to deal with this manipulation.

The only thing I didn't like about this book was the ending.  It seemed to be building up to something big, and it didn't happen.  The end was too simple and didn't produce the result it should have.  I was ready for something big and horrible.  That's probably why I read the entire book in almost one sitting, I was waiting for the big end that didn't really happen.

It's a pretty good book though, but as I said in the beginning, not at all what I expected.  I liked it, didn't love it, probably wouldn't have read it if I'd had a clearer idea as to what it was about.



Read:  Sept. 4, 2011

No comments: