Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Review: Christmas Past by Susanna Fraser

During the holiday season, when I wasn't working and could stay up as late as I wanted, I got into the habit of reading a book a day - usually a holiday novella, about a hundred or so pages.  But some nights I had less time than others, so this, at about 50 pages, worked well.

There wasn't a whole lot to this story.  A woman, Sydney, takes a time machine, goes back in time.  The machine breaks, and she can't get back home.  She's supposed to kill herself and destroy the machine if this happens.  But when Miles discovers her plans, he tries to convince her to live.  And really, what would be the point in killing herself? 

It's a cute story, interesting to see a modern woman in that time period.  Being that she's planning to end her life, she's quite uninhibited, and doesn't care much about what people might think of her spending the night alone with a man. 

I actually thought that on some level this story was quite sad.  Sydney was losing everything she loved.  I kept hoping she'd find a way to repair the time machine, but I guess that would have ruined the romance.

Perfect for a quick, sexy, holiday story when you don't have much time, but want to be able to read an entire story quickly. 

No comments: