Thursday, January 02, 2014

Review: City of Lost Dreams by Magnus Flyte

After reading City of Dark Magic this summer, I was very much looking forward to reading City of Lost Dreams - and it completely lived up to my expectations.

However, when I read City of Dark Magic, I happened to be in Prague, and could walk down the streets mentioned or through the rooms of the Lobokwitz (check spelling) Castle.  I did not have that convenience while reading City of Lost Dreams, which largely takes place in Vienna.  It's been a few years since I've visited Vienna.  So instead, I put together a board on pintehttp://www.pinterest.com/grrlsleuth/city-of-lost-dreams/
rest - it isn't complete, sometimes while reading, I wasn't near a computer - but I put this together so that if anyone else is reading this book and would like to view the sites, I've already done some of the work. 

I love the characters in this story.  I was a little disappointed to discover in the beginning that Sarah and Max were no longer a couple.  After City of Dark Magic, I was expecting them to become quite the couple.  Max is still in the book, but for most of the story, he's in Prague with his new girlfriend while Sarah is in Vienna, having her own adventures.  Part of what I loved about Max and Sarah together was the idea of this normal, smart woman attracting a "prince" or whatever Max's title was.  But they decide their lives are too different to make things work.  So this isn't a romance, but that's okay, because there's still plenty of mystery and magic and weirdness.

I would very much suggest you read City of Dark Magic before reading this.  I'm not sure this book would make sense at all if you haven't read the first book of the series.

Overall though, great sequel to City of Dark Magic.  Was nice to return to this world.

No comments: