Sunday, April 27, 2014

Review: Perfect 10 by Erin McCarthy

Thus far, I've really enjoyed the Cosmo Hot Reads novellas I've read.  They're perfect for something quick and sexy.  I'm in the midst of reading a rather large non-fiction book, so thought I'd take a little break and read this before going to bed last night.

And I didn't like it very much.

The characters seem very, very young.  I know that may be the audience they're aiming for with these books - maybe - but it isn't something that has bothered me in the past.  Maybe it isn't so much that they're young, but so very immature.  I didn't like any of the characters in this book, didn't care about what happened to them, they were not people I'd want to know in real life.  Even when I was that age, I stayed clear of people that immature.  Also, the sex wasn't even all that hot - sometimes that can redeem an otherwise not so great story - but, no.  Too many pop culture reference - "What did the fox say?"  Really?  Kids, maybe you don't need to be having sex yet.  And the whole Williamsburg, hipster setting bothered me - those are the people I try to avoid, so why would I want to read about them?  A lot about this story felt like it was trying too hard to be hip and trendy.  

Also, I'm beginning to realize that I don't like the friends to lovers storylines.  I don't know that I've read all that many, but this one is clearly that.  When I think about the idea of good friends becoming lovers it bothers me, because it seems like such an obvious betrayal of friendship.  Lying to someone you care about doesn't seem like a great way to begin a relationship.  I know that I would be really upset if I found out a guy who I thought was a friend was really wanting to be more than a friend - would feel like he had ulterior motives.  Overall, just really didn't like this story.

No comments: