Sunday, March 22, 2015

Review: Too Hot to Handle by Victoria Dahl

I loved this book so much.  I liked it as much as the first book in this series, which I didn't think was possible because I loved that more than just about any other book I've ever read.  But this one was pretty great.  I was in my room sobbing at one point, and that doesn't usually happen.  Oh, sure I say, a book made me cry, but rarely does a book reduce me to the ugly cry like this one did.

In the first book of this series, I felt I could relate to Grace, in that she kept people at a distance.  I couldn't relate to Merry's happiness and need to always be positive.  But the awkwardness felt so familiar.  And yesterday, when I started reading this book, I was wearing my Keep Calm and Remember You're Wonder Woman sweatshirt, and today, as I finished up the book, I was wearing an "Are You My Mummy" Doctor Who shirt.  You'll have to read the book to understand why that's relevant.

I really enjoyed this story, and seeing how Merry and Shane got to know each other, and were gradually able to overcome the issues in their life that had been holding them back.  Such a well-written story that felt real.  And the thing is, I always claim I have no interest in reading about reality - that I read romance for the fantasy.  But these stories give the illusion that people in real situations - people who are drifting through life, trying to figure out what they want to do, struggling in their careers, bitter about their childhoods and still dealing with family issues well into adulthood - can also find some very real happiness.  Not perfect, fairy tale, happy ever afters, but rather some very satisfying, "hey, maybe I don't have to be alone forever and be really happy with someone" sort of stories.

I'm going to recommend this series to anyone who will listen to me, because seriously, you need this book in your life.

I received a review copy via NetGalley.  Have no idea why it took me so long to get around to reading it. So glad I finally did.

No comments: