Sunday, February 05, 2012

Phantom Evil by Heather Graham

I love New Orleans.  I hope to someday live in New Orleans.  It's part of that long-term plan I've been putting together for years. 

I picked up this book because of the cover, which seems to scream New Orleans ghost story.  Part of what I love about New Orleans are the ghosts.  But I didn't like this book much at all. 

This is the first in a series, so I guess the author was trying to introduce everyone to build up future stories.  But the result was too many characters and too many story lines.  I couldn't keep all the names straight and after a while I quit trying.  I was also under the impression that this was something of a romance, but "romance" wasn't very well developed.  I didn't know enough about the "lovers" involved to care much about what happened between them.

Also, the ghost story didn't really have anything to do with the crime the group was trying to solve.

I thought this was going to be a quick, fun read, but it took me weeks to get through it because it just never held my interest.  I had to force myself to finish it, hoping it would get better.  When I finished reading it though, I wished I hadn't wasted my time on it.  There are better New Orleans ghost stories out there.

No comments: