Monday, February 18, 2013

Review: For the Love of the Goblin Warrior by Shona Husk

Initially, I wasn’t going to read Shona Husk’s For the Love of the Goblin Warrior because after I got a copy of the book, I found out it was the third book in the Shadowlands series. I feel an obligation to read series from book one. But after a few people assured me it wasn’t necessary to read the earlier books in the series to enjoy this one, I went ahead and read it. I’m glad I did.

In the beginning of the book, a man covered in gray dust is brought in the emergency room where Nadine, a nurse, works. He doesn’t seem to speak English and he’s confused. But Nadine is kind to him and he feels drawn to her and she’s certainly curious about him.

When their paths cross again, they begin a tentative relationship, starting with coffee. Normally, I would be scoffing at someone picking up a man who clearly seems to be a homeless guy, living in the park, but I felt like Nadine knew what she was doing. (This is fiction after all, so the characters are allowed a bit of carelessness.) This was written in such a way, that I found their attraction to each other to be believable and convincing. The two characters had great chemistry with things as simple as their hands touching or brief kisses resulting in steamy moments.

These two people both have pasts filled with tragedies, and are both haunted by nightmares. Only after they get to know each other do they realize the connection between the tragedies in their lives. When Nadine was a child, her mother told her a fairy tale about a Goblin King. For Meryn though, the fairy tale was his reality.

I enjoyed this book quite a bit. It has plenty of romance and the story is interesting. Being a fan of fairy tales, I liked the way the magic seeped into real life. Also, I agree with those who said it it’s necessary to read the earlier books in the series is necessary to understand this story. However, I do plan to read them because I liked this book and want to learn more about the world in which these characters live.

I received a review copy of this book via Netgalley.

No comments: