Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Review: Suddenly Last Summer by Sarah Morgan

I loved this romance novel. It's the first thing I read after returning home from a three and a half week trip to Europe and it was exactly what I needed. After all that traveling, I was in no shape to do much of anything except read and this was the perfect book for that.  Something very sexy and romantic, with just enough angst and conflict to keep the story interesting and emotionally satisfying.

I read the first book in this series, Sleigh Bells in the Snow, around Christmas and I absolutely loved it. As anxious as I was to keep reading about the O'Neil brothers, I decided to wait until summer for this one.  And I'm going to make myself hold off until closer to Christmas for the third one, as that's also Christmas-themed. But it will probably be the first book I read when I get started on the holiday books.

This book is about Sean, the doctor who doesn't live at his family's resort in Vermont. There's some animosity about this, their grandfather not understanding why he doesn't want to be more involved in the family business. But for Sean, this was just never the life for him. He wanted to be a doctor and he wanted to get away. However when his grandfather becomes ill and ends up in the hospital, it's the doctor in the family they want there to translate the medical speak.

A few months earlier, Sean had a one night fling with the resort's French cook, Elise. Even though they're both adults and knew exactly what they were doing, with no intention of it being more than a fun night, there's a little bit of awkwardness between them. Elise, not realizing the extent of his family issues was concerned he was avoiding the family because of her.

With Sean back home more to help his grandfather, he and Elise keep spending more time together, and the attraction that led to their one night together is still very much there.  Over time the two begin to learn more about each other, about Sean's family and Elise's reason for leaving Paris.  Gradually, their attraction becomes more than just a strong physical connection.  I really love books like this, where you see the characters begin to fall for each other and their attraction makes sense. We aren't simply told they like each other, we understand why they want to be together.

But of course, falling for each other isn't that easy, Sean's still having issues with his family, and Elise promised herself long ago that she would never fall in love because it only led to destruction.  I really loved how they resolved their issues. Very nice love story here.  

Am very much looking forward to reading the third book in this series.  The first two have been wonderful. 

I received a review copy via NetGalley.

No comments: