Sunday, September 20, 2015

Review: To Kiss a Mermaid by Michele Hauf

For the most part, I enjoyed this book. This is the first mermaid book I've read, and I liked the history and mythology associated with the mermaids.

James Morgan grew up believing he was the descendant of a mermaid, and his whole life he's yearned for a mermaid to love. One day, when retrieving his fishing nets, there's a mermaid tangled in the nets and he believes that finally all he's ever wanted has become his.

James is a kind, good man, and as much as he loves the mermaid who he has named Molly, he begins to feel guilty as he sees her struggling with life on dry land.  And Molly very much loves James, she has for years as she watched him from the sea, but adapting to a life outside of the sea is more difficult than she imagined it would be.

I liked the characters quite a bit, they were people I cared about and felt emotionally invested in their lives. I also, liked the setting, a seaside Welsh village during a historical time period (1800s?).

I didn't like the way the story ended. This is a romance, so rest assured that there is a Happily Ever After, but it wasn't the one I had hoped they would get. I read this book this morning and have been thinking about the ending all day, which I figure is the sign of a well-written book. But there was something so sad about James and Molly and I'd hoped they would find the happiness they wanted. Maybe what they got instead was better, I'm sure that's what readers are supposed to assume, but it still made me sad. But probably won't have the same effect on other readers.

Overall though, this is a very good book. I'd recommend it to anyone interested in mermaid stories.

No comments: