Friday, March 25, 2016

Review: Midnight in Manhattan by Sarah Morgan

The books in Sarah Morgan's O'Neal Brothers Trilogy are some of my favorite romance novels. I loved those books so much, I recommend them to all my friends and have bought copies to give people as gifts. So I was looking forward to another trilogy from her. But I didn't like this book anywhere near as much as I liked those books.

The first part of the book is so slow. Took me forever to get through the first 30 or 40 percent of the book. Nothing was happening. Readers are told over and over again that Paige is in love with Jake and every time Jake sees Paige, he wants to take her to a dark corner and strip her naked. But I never got the impression that he felt anything near what she felt for him. If anything, he just felt sorry for her and protective of her. At one point in her life, she'd been sick and vulnerable and that had left an impression on him. The attraction between the two never felt genuine. The romance felt weak and forced.

I also didn't like all the other characters - the friends all seemed like caricatures - the super successful, organized one, the romantic one and the bitter one. It felt like such an obvious set up for the other books in the series. We're told multiple times that Paige's brother is concerned about one of her friends who has relationship issues because of her mother. Same story line as this book - big brother type feels protective of his little sister's friend. Not a fan of those story lines.

The story is okay, I didn't by any means hate the book, but I never felt any strong connection to the characters and it didn't have much of an emotional impact on me.

I received a copy of this via NetGalley.


No comments: