Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Review: The Lucky Ones by Tiffany Reisz

This book wasn't what I thought it was going to be. Based on the cover, I thought this would be scary, or spooky, with a touch of the supernatural. But it wasn't anything like that. Creepy, but in an icky, not haunting, sort of way.

The story is about a very dysfunctional family. A single man takes in a a bunch of foster children and they live in a big house and consider themselves very lucky, hence the title, but really, there's something strange going on.

The main character had been one of the foster children, then something bad happened and she was sent away. Years later, she hears from her foster brother and returns because their foster dad is dying. This is when the secrets begin to emerge.

This story didn't really work for me. There's a big buildup to the secret, and then it's all revealed and I felt the people involved accepted what happened a bit too easily. Also, the romance in it felt very off and awkward and inappropriate.

While the story held my interest, for the most part, in the end I felt a bit disappointed with it.

I received a copy of this via NetGalley.


No comments: