Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Review: The Vampire Hunter by Michele Hauf


I’ve only read two books by Michele Hauf, but based on those two books, I have plans to read pretty much everything else she’s written because she writes some of the best vampire stories I’ve ever read.  She has created such an interesting, gritty world, full of magic – vampires and witches and werewolves and fairies.  I love it. 

The Vampire Hunter is the second book in The Company of Vampires series.  The other book I have read of hers was the first book in this series.  That one was about a vampire and a hunter.  This book though is about a vampire hunter, Kaz, who falls in love with a witch, Zoe.

I loved Kaz, loved how he was devoted to his work, but not entirely afraid to fall for Zoe.  Loved that he was so romantic and sweet and protective, but not creepily so.  I didn’t love Zoe, I thought she was a bit too naïve.  For her to be so clueless about some of the things happening was frustrating.  But I didn’t hold it against her, because it was explained that she did live a very sheltered life, didn’t get out of much, kept to herself.  She lives in a fairy tale-type world of her own creations, and makes no qualms about yearning for a happily ever after.  She just wants to stay out of trouble, help her friends and do good for others.  Even Kaz at one point says to her that she’s entirely too forgiving.  Because it was made clear that this was a flaw of Zoe’s I was okay with it, it didn’t make the story seem too sappy – like oh, she’s so good and perfect she can’t help it.  It was clear that her lack of awareness was the cause of a very big problem.

The setting is Paris, and having been to Paris, I loved recreating the streets in my head.  Very atmospheric, filled with mysterious, dangerous, beautiful creatures.  Romantic, sexy, steamy.  Did not want to put this book down, and when it ended I wanted more because it was that good.

I will definitely be reading more books by this author.

I received a review copy via NetGalley.

No comments: