Saturday, October 06, 2018

Review: Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark T. Sullivan

Beneath a Scarlet SkyBeneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark T. Sullivan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Listened to this audiobook and very much enjoyed it.

I have a very strong interest in WWII, but most of what I've read is set in France. I know very little about the war in Italy, despite having visited the country a few times. This story is set mostly in Milan, a city I've visited once, and loved, though I only spent a day there. Was interesting to imagine the action taking place in the areas near the Duomo and La Scala.

I found this story fascinating because it's told from the viewpoint of a young man who was forced into the war. He was going to the movies one evening, waiting and hoping for the woman he'd asked out earlier to show up and next thing he knows he's in the midst of bombing.

The story traces his involvement in the war, which spans about two years. From his time of helping Jews to escape to working for the Allies as a spy among the Nazis. There's also a bit of a love story.

Not entirely sure I would have liked this book as much if I'd read it rather than listened because when I read, I notice that I skim over details relating to war, and this is fairly descriptive. But listening to the story, that wasn't an issue at all.

Would definitely recommend to anyone interested in WWII or Italian history.

I was telling students about the book the other day and someone says, they should make that into a movie. Had no idea until a few minutes after I finished listening to the book that there is a movie in production. Looking forward to seeing that.


View all my reviews

No comments: